Hey guys. After some questions about how to apply the patch I used in my youtube video and talking with HistoryMajor7 on Youtube, I’ve decided to post his guide here. Initially, I tried to add it to the description but due to the length of the guide it couldn’t be placed in the description in its entirety.
So, without further adieu, HistoryMajor7‘s guide to applying the English translation patch Fatal Frame 4 on Wii 4.3U.
**try at your own risk. I mean you are modding your Wii**
**Also I am not promoting modding. I just wanted to buy the game I bought. Seriously Nintendo why wouldn’t it be brought overseas so others can enjoy it. Seriously Nintendo, WTF**
**Give credit to the modders. I want to thank them for giving me a chance to play Fatal Frame**
What you will need:
1. A US Wii 4.3U
2. A retail copy of Fatal Frame imported from Japan (you will need it to use the patch)
3. An empty SD Card at least 1 GB. I used a SanDisk 1 GB. Create a folder and name it “apps” into the empty SD Card. Its explained in further detail below in item 4 in case you need to know what I mean
This is an SD Card http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Memory-Card-SDSDB-002G-AFFP/dp/B007JRB0QA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1364926610&sr=8-9&keywords=sandisk+1gb.
I used the 1GB
4. letter bomb for 4.3U if you are in North America (This will install the Homebrew Channel [but not the Homebrew Browser which you will need to download Riivolution. Its explained below]) http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/LetterBomb or here is the direct link http://please.hackmii.com/. Follow the link to the letter bomb and follow the directions to install homebrew. Just download into your pc and extract it into your SD Card under the folder named “apps”. The “apps” folder should be created by you in the root (the main or default location of your SD Card. In other words, when you click the letter of the SD Card on your computer to show you what is in the Card; that is the root or default location.)
5. Fatal Frame 4 patches http://www.fatalframe4.net/ follow the link (there’s no more help for 4.3 install. I don’t know what happened to the site), download to your PC :
“Patch loader for 4.2”, “Patch loader for HBC”, and the “English Patch”
6. Riivolution. You get “Riivolution” from the Homebrew Channel after you install it (its explained below).
7. Homebrew Browser. Here’s the link http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser . Download it into your “apps” folder in your SD Card. Install it from the Homebrew Channel in your Nintendo Wii (insert the SD Card and click on the Homebrew Channel and install the browser from there.
8. A PC with an SD Card Reader (i.e. computer to move around things with your SD Card)
Once you have all the above this is what you do:
1. Install Homebrew Channel on your Wii using the letterbomb. (I can’t remember if you need to get rid of it from your SD Card after and if it stays in the Wii memory. I think you could leave it in your SD Card under the folder named “apps” I have to check my SD Card). It stays in the SD Card under the folder “apps” I checked.
2. Go into your Wii and into the Homebrew Channel after you install it into your Wii. From the Homebrew Channel and through the Homebrew Browser (after you installed that too) look for “Riivolution” install it into your Wii. I think it is under the “Applications” or “Apps” menu in the Homebrew Channel Browser. Install it into your Wii and it should be in your Homebrew Channel (I think it might have its own channel in your Wii now too)
3. Extract the 4.2 patch, the HBC patch and the English patch you downloaded from http://www.fatalframe4.net into the “apps” folder
**pay close attention to the next part. This took me forever to figure out since there are no real guides. And it was so simple.**
5. Next, take the extracted “Zero4” folder (there are 2 of them one in the 4.2 patch I think, and the other one is in the “English patch”) You want to take the Zero4 folder from the English patch (the patch that is like 300-400MB) and move it into the root of the SD Card. So the root of your SD Card should have three folders. The “apps” folder, the “Riivolution” folder (gets installed from hombrew browser), and the “Zero4” folder from the large English Patch. Everything else should be in the “apps” folder.
6. Now pop in your SD Card into your Wii along with your retail copy of Fatal Frame 4.
7. Now launch it through Riivolution. Go into the Riivolution channel or through it via Homebrew Channel . It should have like 3 different options in the Riivolution channel make sure they are all “enabled” and click on “Launch” and the game should launch. In the main menu under “options” or “menu” it should be in English and when you start the game the subtitles should be in English. Happy Gaming. Seriously next time bring it overseas!
Final note: If the game doesn’t load the patch at a later stage, all you need to do is exit the game and go back into the main menu (no need to restart the Wii) and go back into the Riivolution channel and it should load like it usually does.
Thanks again to HistoryMajor7 for the guide. Send him some good vibes if this helped you!